What is Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery?
Oral and maxillofacial surgery corrects a wide spectrum of diseases, injuries and defects in the head, neck, face, jaws
and the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial region.
An oral and maxillofacial surgeon treats the entire oral and maxillofacial area:
the mouth, jaws, face, skull, as well as some of the connected structures.
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgical Procedures include
- Removal of impacted wisdom teeth
- Surgical exposure of impacted teeth and other orthodontic-related procedures
- Dental implants to replace absent teeth
- Bone grafts to enable implant – supported teeth and bridges
- Orthognathic surgery (jaw surgery)
- Craniofacial surgery (correction of deformities of forehead and upper face)
- Fractures of the facial skeleton
- Cysts and tumours of the jaw and facial region
- Oral and jaw cancers
- Rhinoplasty – restructuring of the nose
- Genioplasty – repositioning of the chin